This is Part 2 of the series on How To Relax on Vacation. Be sure to see Part 1: 10 Ways to Prepare for a Relaxing Vacation at Jubilee Suites with great tips we’ve learned the hard way on how to get ready to go on vacation… so when you’re finally there, you’re already relaxed and prepared to jump in.
Wouldn’t it be great to be on vacation right now?
Relaxing on vacation is all about finding activities that help you unwind and enjoy your time away from your daily routine. At Jubilee Suites, we delight in helping you make the most of your time here and in the lovely town of Fairhope, AL. As you open the door to your luxurious suite, we hope you immediately feel the home-away-from-home vibe we’ve built into your entire stay with us. We hope you enjoy all our pampering, good food, new experiences, gorgeous views, and stimulating conversation with other guests. You’ve finally arrived at the vacation destination you deserve.
We understand that you live a full and busy life with lots of responsibilities. It’s hard sometimes for people to simply drop all that and suddenly be on vacation. So we’ve put together a few ideas we’ve learned from our guests and from our own vacation experiences that might help you relax sooner and more completely.
How to Disengage From Work on Vacation
If you’re taking a vacation from work, it might be difficult to disengage completely. But to the extent possible, know that the more you do these things, the more refreshed and ready to re-engage you’ll be when you get back!
• Quieting your mind and disconnecting from work while on vacation is essential to truly relax and recharge. Before you go, establish clear boundaries about your vacation dates well in advance with your workplace. Delegate tasks and responsibilities to trusted team members before your vacation. Make sure they have all the information they need to handle things in your absence. And this is really important. Set up an out-of-office email auto-reply that clearly states your unavailability and provides an alternative contact person for urgent matters.
• Even if you are not going back to a formal workplace, we recommend you wrap up ongoing projects or tasks before your vacation so that you don’t leave loose ends that could occupy your thoughts. If needed, make a to-do list for your return so you can address them when you’re back. And leave that list at home!
• If you’re leaving a beloved pet or people behind, schedule specific times during the day to check on your caregiver. Stick to this schedule to avoid constant distractions. Ensure your caregiver or pet sitter understands the procedures to follow in case of a true emergency.
How to Relax Once You’re on Vacation
Above all, be patient with yourself. It takes time to fully disconnect from your regular routine. Allow yourself to adapt to the vacation mindset gradually. Whether you relax with more activity or by doing nothing at all, we’ve got a few suggestions to make the most of your precious vacation time.
• Create a relaxation ritual that helps you transition to vacation mode. This could involve journaling, deep breathing exercises, or a soothing cup of tea. We’re tea lovers and we’ve stocked your suite with my own blend (Dana’s Relaxing Tea) and a beautiful tea service. Limit your time on social media, especially if it tends to be a source of stress. Consider taking a digital detox by turning off your phone completely. Create a vacation playlist and enjoy your favorite tunes. Turn on the sound machines in your suite. Breathe. Feel. Look. Listen. Repeat.
• Plan enjoyable experiences that you look forward to during your vacation. We would be happy to help you plan an itinerary that meets your needs for activity or relaxation or, even better, a little of each. Consider using your vacation as an opportunity to try new hobbies or enjoy activities that you’re passionate about but don’t have time for during your regular routine. Enjoy a round of golf at Rock Creek Golf Club. Make a point of engaging in some of our unique waterfront experiences such as kayaking or paddleboarding, a charter sailboat or fishing trip, or an eco-tour into the other-worldly Mobile Bay Delta. Capture the beauty of your surroundings through photography.
•Don’t forget to plan for some delicious local cuisine. We’re known for our Gulf seafood and fresh farm-to-table restaurants. Order one of Jim’s famous charcuterie boards for your first night here. Go wine tasting at Provision or Red or White and learn about our local wine selections. Let us help you schedule a chef’s dinner in your suite with one of our local caterers. Learn to cook a local dish in a cooking class. Pack a picnic and have a meal in a scenic spot. Maybe take a bike trip to get there.
• Self-care is always a welcome path to relaxation. Treat yourself to a massage, facial, or other spa treatments. Let us know after you make your reservation and we’ll help schedule it. Or enjoy physical activities like hiking, swimming, or jogging to release endorphins and reduce stress. Take a private yoga class with one of our local instructors. Focus on gratitude for the opportunity to be on vacation.
• Get plenty of sleep. Take advantage of vacation mornings by sleeping in and enjoying a leisurely breakfast in our Bayview great room from 8-10 each morning. Take an afternoon nap in a hammock or a comfortable lounge chair. Bring along a good book and fall asleep whenever your eyes get heavy. We’ve got loads of private spots on the property for you to catch a few zzz’s.
• Immerse yourself in nature and the incredible peace and beauty of our property. Spend a day lying on the beach, soaking up the sun, watching the shorebirds and dolphins play, the sailboats and cruise ships pass by, and listening to the waves. Watch the sun set over Mobile Bay while sitting around our firepit or on your private balcony with a beverage in hand.
• Learn more about the culture of Fairhope, AL. Walk downtown. Stroll through the Eastern Shore Art Center, the Fairhope History Museum, and our local bookstore, Page and Palette, not to be missed. Spend an afternoon on De La Mare Avenue in and out of the unique shops and eateries. Pick up a souvenir at The Fairhope Store. Walk down to the Fairhope Pier, our town’s unofficial town square. Talk to the locals. They’ll be happy to talk to you too.
It’s Time to Relax at Jubilee Suites
We have a saying around here that seems to be true. We’ve seen it time and again with our bed & breakfast guests over the past 5+ years here. ‘Spend 3 days at Jubilee Suites and you’ll go home feeling refreshed and rejuvenated and ready for whatever comes next.’ There’s something about the waterfront view, the peace and quiet, and the luxury of time and space to spread out and truly relax, that allows people to fully unwind here. It’s one of our favorite parts of being resident hosts is getting to know you and seeing your transformation.
Let’s get together this year. Choose your suite, book right here on our website for the best rates, and then let us help you plan some activities that help you relax, enjoy some new experiences, and create lasting memories for you and your traveling companions. We hope to meet you very soon!
Dana and Jim Maloney