Information in this article was updated on 7/30/21 from a similar post in 2020.
There’s always fun happening at Jubilee Suites. This time of the year, we’re all about summer fun in Fairhope.
This year has been a breath of fresh air for us at Jubilee Suites since vaccines have been available for US residents. We experienced a huge surge of returning guests right after the first of the year and it’s been a wonderful spring and summer so far. Jim and I love being innkeepers and our amazing hospitality team is also fully committed to providing our guests with 5-star luxury in every detail. See our reviews on Facebook and Google. We’re also importing a live feed of all of our Airbnb reviews right on this page. Our guests’ overwhelmingly positive responses to us while we’re doing exactly what we love is one of the biggest blessings of my entire life!
Recently, the new covid delta variant has been sweeping the country and once again it’s extra-tough for our guests to plan family vacations, weddings, and romantic getaways as we anticipate the return of social distancing and even possible travel restrictions. Having been through this for the last 16 months, I’m sure no one is thrilled with these prospects. We’re all looking for a way to return to normal, take that summer vacation before school starts or even a staycation we thought we were going to miss.
Perhaps this will help: When you stay at Jubilee Suites in Fairhope, AL you can easily social distance in one of our 7 family-size suites, each with its own private entrance and either a balcony or patio view that’s both peaceful and impressive. It’s a one-of-kind luxury waterfront vacation that makes our intimate boutique hotel a wonderful option for your 2021/22 getaway. You’ll come home transformed, recharged and ready for what’s next. And isn’t that what a great vacation is all about?
So let’s all take the time to count our blessings, see how strong we’ve become, and strengthen ourselves mentally for the next phase of our lives. It’s seems true that “change is the only constant in life” (credited to Heraclitus, a Greek philosopher). At Jubilee Suites, we’re “rolling with the punches” and we encourage you to not only count your own blessings, but to take the time to encourage your neighbor as well. Let’s get through this together!
Now it’s practically August and there’s no denying that it gets pretty hot in Fairhope. Locals know how to plan their fun around the weather in the summer and you can too. So if you’re planning a trip to Fairhope this summer, don’t worry about the heat. The secret is to think like a local and plan your outdoor activities for early morning or around sunset.
Here are a few of our favorite warm weather experiences you and your loved ones can enjoy when you choose Jubilee Suites for your vacation home. Most of these activities are outside, which makes it easier to comply with both the social distancing and mask recommendations.
12 Activities for Vacation or Staycation Fun
1. Sunrise or Sunset Kayaking Tour– Our guests can enjoy a guided kayak or paddleboard tour of Mobile Bay any time of the day, but it’s really special to get out there in the early morning or when the sun is setting. Our lovely Beach Manager, Caitlyn, grew up playing in the Bay under her grandmother’s careful watch and is full of fascinating stories and detailed knowledge of the history and science of the Bay. You’ll see several species of fish and birds that live in and along the water and often dolphins will come right up to you. Guests are also encouraged to take the kayaks and paddleboards out on their own at any time of day.
2. Sunrise Bike Riding– The Fairhope Store in downtown Fairhope offers bike rentals with very reasonable hourly, daily, or weekly rates. It’s also the perfect place to pick up Fairhope t-shirts and other souvenirs of your trip. Prepare a picnic lunch the night before and get out early. Head straight for the Eastern Shore Trail which runs north and south through Fairhope and along the eastern shore of Mobile Bay. Maps are available here so you can plan your trip to take in some interesting destinations. Whether you head south or head north, you’ll have a beautiful ride getting there.
3. Fairhope Pier for Sunrise, Sunset or Fishing– No visit to Fairhope is complete without experiencing the Fairhope Pier, our unofficial town square. Whenever you decide to go, there’s always people enjoying outdoor activity on the Pier and in both directions along the Bay. An early morning stroll to the Pier and through the adjacent park makes for a beautiful getaway. You’ll see walkers, fitness classes, shore birds, and often fishermen who have been there all night. Most fishermen will tell you to get to your favorite fishing spot before the sunrise which is around 6am in the summer with comfortable temperatures in the 70’s. You can also fish Mobile Bay right off our Jubilee Suites beach or pier. And good news! Alabama residents age 65 or older are not required to purchase a fishing license for Mobile Bay as long as they have proper identification. But if you’re under 65, saltwater licenses are required and the easiest way to get one is online. If you need bait, Greer’s grocery store on Section Street now carries frozen bait– shrimp, squid and cut bait that you can purchase ahead of time. So if fishing is your passion, bring your equipment and a hopeful outlook.
4. Golf– Because of our warm weather, golf is a huge year-round activity in Fairhope, and summertime is no exception. Local golfers know that to avoid the heat, you should get an early tee time. Both Rock Creek and Quail Creek Golf courses are public courses with outstanding reviews. Rock Creek was designed by Earl Stone and is a beautiful course that’s fun for all skill levels. Junior golfers under 17 are welcome at Rock Creek at a reduced rate. Book tee times for 9 or 18 holes by calling 251-928-4223. For another option, the City of Fairhope maintains the beautiful Quail Creek Golf course which opens at 7 am. See their website for more information and to book tee times.
5. Fairhope Community Park– We’ve got some exceptional parks in Fairhope and if you’ve got children, you’ll want to spend some time at this one. Located at 105 S Church Street, this park has lots of swings, slides, monkey bars and a pirate-themed splash pad that’s sure to keep everyone cool. Take a lunch and enjoy the day! When everyone’s had their fill of the park, there’s always ice cream cones!
6. Ice Cream Cones and Popsicles– Summer calls for ice cream, snow cones, and popsicles and we’ve got one for each day of the week right here in Fairhope. Double dip with both coffee and ice cream at Mr Genes Beans and also Latte Da Coffee Shop at Page & Palette Bookstore, within a block of each other downtown. Both have outdoor seating so you can people-watch while enjoying your treat. Kids of all ages love Frios Gourmet Pops fancy popsicles located in the Fairhope Sweet Shop at 218 Fairhope Ave. Ice Ice Baby Sno-Balls, at 369 S. Mobile Street, offers a fluffy variation of the classic summer treat. Walk across the street and sit on a park bench to enjoy the view of Mobile Bay. And The Yard Milkshake Bar prepares a mind-bending, over-the-top milkshake experience you just have to see to believe. Pick one each day and you’ll keep the family happy while on vacation and exploring the local favorites in Fairhope.
7. Fairhope Brewing Tap Room for lunch– One of the unique features of this local hangout and Fairhope’s first brewery is that because of AL laws, they can’t sell food, but you can bring your own right into this brewery and enjoy it with your beverages. Children are welcome also. One of our favorite things to do is to sit at the bar or on their shady patio and enjoy a beer flight- 4 smaller glasses of beer of your choice- along with takeout food from any number of great restaurants. You’ll also find plenty of souvenirs to take home. Imagine wearing a “chic” Fairhope Brewing Company T-shirt in your home town! Check their Facebook page to book a tour, currently on Fridays at noon.
8. Deep Sea Fishing Charter– Because we’re right next to Mobile Bay and not far from the Gulf of Mexico, water fun is big on a local’s summer fun list. If a deep sea fishing charter floats your boat, let us help you set it up with Finatics Fishing for a wonderful and experienced captain who will take care of you and your whole family. Saltwater licenses are included in your trip and children are welcome too. Trips range in length from 4 to 8 hours depending how far out into the Gulf of Mexico you go. He also does inshore fishing, which is just that- fishing much closer to home in Mobile Bay. Be sure to take plenty of sunscreen and enjoy the breezes off the water.
9. Visit AL beaches– If white sandy beaches and refreshing Gulf breezes are calling your name, you might want to head south to the public beaches in Gulf Shores or Orange Beach. It’s an easy trip, just 45 minutes south of Fairhope, especially if you leave early in the day to avoid the traffic. While you’re there, enjoy a dose of the Gulf of Mexico waves, fresh air and local seafood. Ask us for tips on where to go, what to pack, and how to get there.
10. Catered Dinner Right at Jubilee Suites– Book a cooking class or catered dinner for your family with one of our local chefs like Kristin Alpine of Wildflowers and Fresh Foods or Shelli Saleeb of Flowers and Fare. Either one will create a special dinner just for your family in your suite, plus serve it and clean up afterwards. Choose a theme or leave all the planning to the chef for a wonderful surprise. Both make it fun by including colorful local ingredients and flowers and involving you in all the planning, shopping, mixing, and cooking. You will love either of them!
11. Eat Outside in the Evening– All of these favorite restaurants offer both inside and outside seating. Some use misters or fans to keep things cooler while some rely on breezes off the water. Sunset Pointe’s patio faces Mobile Bay looking out over their marina and combines that beautiful view with delicious small plates and a sunset ritual every evening. Tamara’s, Wok by d’Bay, Dragonfly Foodbar, and The Hope Farm on Nichols all have shaded patios for cooler dining outdoors. The American Legion Post 199 is open to the public and right on one of the most beautiful beaches in Fairhope. Some evenings they sell to-go plates or hamburgers on the grill and often have music on their outdoor stage. Check their Facebook page for details. Some venues have changed their hours so check Facebook or call them the day you plan to go. Or for a stay-at-home option, we supply grills and charcoal to our guests who want to picnic right on Jubilee Suites’ grounds.
12. Sunset Celebration at Jubilee Suites– When you stay with us, you will soon discover that our view of Mobile Bay is like no other. Each evening, weather permitting, we gather with our guests on the backyard bluff overlooking the Bay and celebrate the magnificent sunsets we are known for. Feel free to bring a beverage or snacks. During the summer, sunset is around 8pm and the perfect way to wind down after a busy day. Choose one of our west-facing suites for a private patio or balcony view of the water and the western horizon.
Let us know if you’d like a tour of Jubilee Suites before you book your family or couples getaway. We also have openings for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year. See availability and book your suite right on our website.